Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 9 - Mind Maps

Today we watched a slideshow on mind maps and its intention was to show us that putting ideas out on paper gets the brain flowing. This is a great solution for artists block. I can't tell you how many times I would need to be creatively-inspired to get a project done, yet my mind draws a blank. By using questions like who, what, where, why, when, and how, it helps break down the problem into smaller bits. If you figure out one piece of the puzzle, it's easier to find another and the process escalates until you have a fantastic and complete idea at the end.

I chose the topic if aliens in your bed and it was interesting to see that by changing one portion of either if the questions can completely alter the tone/mood of the story. For example, if the alien was there to abduct me, a frightening essence would settle in. Yet, on the contrary, if the roommate happened to be my lover than it would be no surprise at all, it would be more of a shock had he not been in my bed.

I think we did this exercise because it helps us get out of those ruts when designing and definitely helps facilitate our creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment