Today in class we split up into groups to discuss the Designer of 2015 Competencies provided by AIGA. There were 13 of them and had to break each one down. Jimmy told us that #8 was the most important and it read, "Understanding of how systems behave and aspects that contribute to sustainable products, strategies and practices". At first, thought I had a good grasp of this concept, but when I was questioned further about it, I realized I didn't fully understand it. After digging deeper, I soon learned that the word, "systems", was referring to behavioral systems like a bee colony or a social system with humans. It makes sense that this should be understood especially in the design world because when conjuring up a solution for a problem, it's great practice to consider the system or audience one is addressing. For example, it would make too much sense to put a high-end designer clothing store in a low-economic community such as Compton. This is because within that system that resides there, designer clothing isn't at the top if their priority list, nor could they probably afford it. This is just one example, but there are several others.
I think we went over these concepts because knowing and understanding them helps us become better designers. I also feel as though it helps us realize the bigger picture when designing, rather than designing for ourselves in our own small scope.
No comments:
Post a Comment