Today in class we started off by creating an orchestra. We did so by having each of us create a different sound & repeat it until a whole jumble of noises came together. I wouldn't exactly say our orchestra was that successful and needless to say our music wasn't anything near a symphony, but it was fun. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this exercise was. It was quite odd. Perhaps, it was supposed to be a metaphor for the fact that if we all work together we can create something beautiful. Well in our case, "interesting" might be the better word. Regardless, I think a lit of these exercises have brought us closer as a group. This class emphasizes group interaction more than any other I've ever taken.
After our mini orchestra, we went on to critique the remaining game designs. Although I hate to say it and maybe it's because I was suffering from lack of sleep that day, but I could hardly understand any of the games presented. I think I generally tend towards games that aren't as complex. Not that I'm a simple-minded person, I just feel as though games are a sense of release and I already do so much critical thinking in other parts of my life, so why strain my brain any more? Also, I realize that I like competitive games where there IS a winner and loser of a game. When someone presented a game w/o these key components, in my head I was like, "Pfft... This is not a game". Perhaps to others it is, I personally would not want to play it though. Also, during presentations I picked up on a few things. It's best not to leave a really drawn-out, awkward silence because it makes everyone feel uncomfortable.
Overall, I think this day taught me to consider what aspects of a game make them interesting. More specifically, why would I want to play this game? This helps me in my own game design and I should probably let others see it to get alternate opinions. If they don't want to play the game, then what's the point?
This activity was good because its always a learning and growing experience. In the design world, this can be applied because it shows us that getting various opinions on a concept can help shape and perfect an idea even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment