Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 12 - Game Design Critique

Today in class we presented our game concepts to the class and had them evaluated. Jimmy talked for an extensive amount on each one so we didn't get through all of them, but we still gained from the ones seen. Not only were we looking at the game concept itself, but also how it was presented. I learned my own presentation style was enthusiastic and felt like I was having a conversation w/the audience, but at times got too personal and when that happens I lose my rationale. I totally get that because sometimes I do get so enveloped in my work that because I love it so much, I want everyone else to. Also, I realized I needed to think out my moving device more and design it in such a way that it makes sense to the reader/viewer.

Apart from my own praises/criticisms, it was good to see others present and learn what and what not to do. For example, speed is something to take into consideration in regards to talking rate. Another was not to insult or argue with the audience/client. Also, that if proposed a question, it may be wise too take a moment to let that question sink in and then answer instead of giving some ridiculous response that only ruins your credibility. There was also the fact that taking into consideration who your audience is and their knowledge on the topic matters so it's crucial to shape your presentation in such a way that they would understand it, had they have no experience with your subject.

In terms of design, I learned that typography can be crucial because it may read a completely different way and set up an idea in ones head that leads in another direction. Also, taking into consideration that we read left to right so placement is key. A good corresponding title matters as well. There are a few other points that we picked up on, but those were the main ones that stuck out to me.

I think we did this because it was obviously a huge growing experience. I'm actually very grateful for it, because I don't think I even got this much feedback on my presentations from even my required speech class. Honestly, I would much rather hear what I'm doing wrong so it gives me an opportunity to fix it. In the design world, presentation skills are essential because we're constantly shooting an idea to a client and if those skills are the lack there of then one can expect to not generate a lot of revenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment