Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 2: Visual Literacy

Today in class we explored many different concepts surrounding the overall idea of visual literacy. I'm not entirely sure if I have the definition correct, but from my taking I believe it is the ability to read/understand something visual. Everyone interprets a picture or image in different ways. The way something is framed or laid out can have a dramatic effect on the viewer's interpretation. Not only that, but the use of color, value, and several other factors will make a difference.

We were given an in-class assignment to draw a comic sequence of 4 in 20 minutes that shows us how/why we got to Cal State LA. I partly struggled with this because I felt as though there are so many different components to what got me here in the first place. How am I to represent that in just 4 little frames? Not only that but in the short time alotted? Looking over my finished product and comparing it to others I realize perhaps that it isn't as clear to a reader that does not know my story. It's clear to me, because well, it's MY story. We're given a second chance to re-do the assignment over the weekend(this time in color). I'm going to have to brainstorm and figure out a way to either a condense or perhaps just pick a certain aspect of what got me here so that the transitions and overall story is much easier read.

Just a little side note: I love the quote in the short film we watched. I think they're great words to live by. "Learn from everyone. Follow no one. Watch for patterns. Work like hell." - Scott McCloud

Thanks for listening,
Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment